Engine replacement? - Porsche Boxster Forums: Porsche Boxster Forum
BoxsterForums.com now has a Photo Gallery available to all users. Upload your photos today!
Porsche Boxster Porsche Boxster

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Porsche Boxster Forums: Porsche Boxster Forum > Porsche Boxster Discussion > Technical Help

Old 06-25-2020, 02:32 AM

Engine replacement?

Hello.

I've had a 2005 Boxster 986 for about three months. A car imported from the US a few years ago, so not much service paperwork. Generally, everything was OK, until a few days ago when something started knocking in the engine. I'm not a mechanic and I didn't pay much attention to it for two days (I like to listen to music while driving), the more so as the knocking was mostly when I was pushing. At least from the inside, because today I listened to the car around to make sure it was from the engine, I opened the hood and I'm 100% sure it's the engine and not some other part that could get loose. The tapping of course occurs all the time while the engine is running. Inside you can hear it much better during acceleration.
So from what I've read on the Internet it appears that I have a problem with the cylinders (?) and I have to change the engine and I will probably do it because I like this car very much. Opinions on various forums are that you can drive with the engine in such a state even for a year. My questions: How much can I estimate the cost of an engine for 986 and the cost of such a replacement?
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2020, 12:52 AM

Engine replacement or swap will not be cheap. Personally, I think it is cheaper to sell it and get another car.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:17 PM
Porsche Club Member

Engine Replacement

I had engine replaced on my 2006 Boxster in 2010. Dealer invoice was $13,000! Luckily for me, it was still under warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement