Should You Buy a Certified Pre-Owned Car? - Porsche Boxster Forums: Porsche Boxster Forum
BoxsterForums.com now has a Photo Gallery available to all users. Upload your photos today!
Porsche Boxster Porsche Boxster

Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Porsche Boxster Forums: Porsche Boxster Forum > Off Topic Section > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-23-2013, 11:19 AM

Should You Buy a Certified Pre-Owned Car?

Quote:
Certified Pre-Owned or CPO cars might look expensive compared to other used cars, but thereís a reason for that; theyíre inspected and checked to ensure that itís a quality car. But if youíre looking to buy a new car, a CPO car will look like a bargain.

Hereís how a CPO offer compares to either a new car or a used car.

CPO vs. New:

New cars have a ton of intangible benefits. They always have that spiffy new car smell, and the wonderful feeling of it arriving to you with no miles on the clock. Furthermore a new car warranty is pretty solid, and covers the car pretty nicely for at least three years. You also have the peace of mind that the car is brand new, and hasnít been abused or mistreated prior to you buying it. Unfortunately, all that convenience and peace of mind comes at a price, not to mention the depreciation hit that occurs as soon as you drive the car off the lot. Some new car buyers can see a 40 percent drop in value off their car during the first three years of ownership.

A CPO car compares favorably to buying a new car, and comes without that huge depreciation hit. Just like a new car, a CPO car is bought from a dealer, and gets a pre-delivery inspection. However, while a new carís inspection is pretty minor, involving unwrapping and unpacking the car, a CPO car is inspected more thoroughly. Of course it needs to be, since it was owned by someone else, and has already driven some miles.
AutoGuide.com takes a look at Why you should or shouldn't buy a Certified Pre-Owned car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2013, 06:58 AM

If I am buying a used Porsche it must be a CPO car or I am not interested.
2008 Cayman S (Sold)
Old 09-09-2013, 06:14 AM

I tend to agree. A new car has it's own "bugs" to work out, whereas a CPO car has already been driven and those "bugs" have been shaken loose. Plus, you can usually get a car like a Porsche for a whole lot less used than new. I mean, I would rather pay 10G than 180G any day of the week!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2013, 12:20 PM

Well, yes and no.
My Boxster is CPO from Porsche. Gives peace of mind. But buying in a private sale negates this option, which also adds to the expense of the vehicle.
My advice:
Pass on 986 models unless the price is most excellent.
Buy a 987 with confidence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement